#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Thursday, February 9, 2012

"Got Green?" Blog Hop... to be shure, to be shure

Aloha,

First of all, thanks y'all for so many awesome comments re. breaking 100 followers:)

I know so many of you are well beyond 100, and there were probably a few rolling-of-the-eyes by some readers, but I got such a kick in hitting triple digits that I couldn't help sharing:)

(Like I said, I so appreciate everyone stopping by - and will be hopping over to yours later today :)

As promised, here is the teaser info for my first Blog Hop:
Designed by Leigh O'Covington :)

As I was born and reared in Dublin, Ireland, I'm mad excited for this Blog O'Hop with its theme of "Got Irish - Get Pinched If You Don't Post!"
The linky list will officially open from March 12 to March 16, with the invitation to post the next day, which is, of course St. Patrick's Day :)

As I love taking my info posts down to the personal, let me share a quick story about my first St. Paddy's Day in the good ol' U.S. of A.

Growing up in inner city Dublin, America was truly a magic land.


Y'all had cars bigger than boats, ice-cream parlors on every corner and no crime ('cos the bad guys were always caught just before the 9 o'clock news came on.)

When I got my Green Card and arrived here in Jan. 1996, the first place I lived was Key West, Fla. 

(Now that is a post allll of its own :)

So, there I am, a single lad of 26, living in a crazy small town... and this thing called Spring Break happens.

Oh.
My.
Gosh.

Which is how I found myself in the middle of thousands of Irish-for-a-day revellers on Duval Street.

I swear I paid for not one drink on what was a long day... as soon as the peeps heard my accent, it was like, well, here's one example:

"Dude, where you from? You talk funny."
My Alter Ego: Super Flying IrishGuy

"Dublin."

"California?"

No, Ireland."

"Get out of here!"

"What?? I just got here!!"

There would be a veritable round of hugs and high-fives, followed by a call to the buddies and it was all over bar the shouting for another round.


I remember waking up March 18, and all I could think of is - wow, how cool that everyone wanted to be me for a day.... that was so much fun:)

And so it is even to this day. And even though I became a naturalized citizen in 2003, St. Paddy's Day is still a rocking day - if not the mad, crazy par-tees of yesteryear:)

That's why I'm hosting this Blog O'Hop...

What does St. Paddy's Day mean to you!

I'd LOVE to hear your Irish stories.

What's your traditions?

What do you cook?

What are your favorite memories, or future plans to visit the Emerald Isle?

Word Count total is 333 (say it in an "Oirish" accent, it makes more sense :)

To help promote the O'Hop, I'd much appreciate any support you could offer.

Please feel free to grab the button above or to the right, which was designed by the fahbuhlouss Leigh Covington :)

(If you do, can you please add the link to the button - thanks :)
To keep it interesting, I've got a few prizes lined up.

(So far) they include a:

$30 Visa Gift Card

One query critique

One three chapter edit

All prizes by me, a former journalist and current editor-in-chief of my imagination :)

If anyone is interested in donating a prize, please contact me via email.

Credit will so be given, of course:)

(And, if I may borrow the coolest way of ending posts from David Powers King)

My name is Mark, and don't mess with my Lucky Charms :) 

21 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

I will be sure and never mess with your lucky charms, put if I see your pot of gold, I may have to relieve you of it..haha

Miranda Hardy said...

Key West? Wow! I bet you were shocked. I'm a little north of there, but I can imagine the culture differences you experienced.

My daughter was putting on her necklaces this morning and said they were her lucky charms. Lol

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Not messing with your Lucky Charms, sir!

Cassie Mae said...

Oh my gosh. I so wanna do this, but my anniversary is St. Paddy's Day. Not kidding! Hmm... I may have to do some scheduling and hop around later :)

Leigh Covington said...

hahaha! You have me laughing out loud! I will NOT mess with your lucky charms, but I WILL most definitely spread the word AND participate! Gonna be so much fun!

Morgan said...

Ohhhh... verrrry fun.You know I'm there! Och, Ye dinna need to fash about that... Crap, did I go Scottish?

Two of my very dearest friends are from Ireland. <3 them. Annnnd my eldest daughter's name is Aisling from my oh so fabulous Irish heritage. ;)

Can't wait! This'll be fun, Mark! :D

Lara Schiffbauer said...

So very excited to participate! I'll pick up the badge and link to it this weekend - this week is nuts. Your Lucky Charms are safe from me, but my kids might mess with 'em!

Sarah Tokeley said...

I'll definitely give you a shout out next week, I'm not sure I can participate because I don't have a single drop of Irishness in me, but if I can think of something, however tenuous, I'll be there :-)

Sarah said...

It would be almost irresponsible of me not to participate, being Irish myself. My dad's from Dublin and my mum's from Armagh in Northern Ireland, and I'm currently living in Belfast!

The only problem will be fitting all of my favourite things about being Irish into 333 words!

Kelley Lynn said...

Okay...I've seen you around this blogosphere for a very long time and I thought for sure I followed you...

But, I didn't. Oh geez. I'm losing it.

But I changed that now and am totally pumped for this bloghop. I went to Ireland this past summer so I've got a few things to share :)

Unknown said...

I'm totally doing this! It's been four years since I've been in Ireland. I loved every minute of it! My last stop was Dublin! I cried when I had to leave! :(

Cortney Pearson said...

What a fabulous idea! I feel so out of the loop! I've never been to Ireland, and I'm not sure I know any Irish stories...but I guess that's why I'm a writer, right? Lol! Does Finian's Rainbow count? I LOVE that movie!

Anonymous said...

Dude, where was I when you posted this...oh wait, I was traveling. My grandmother passed away and we had to go to her funeral. And then I was going to the LTUE. SO that's why I missed it.

But count me in! This is going to be awesome! Mark you totally rock. no joke. you really do. Man I wish I had an accent... I only say things funny because I grew up in a bilingual home, but no accent here.

wait, if I were to talk to you, You would think I have an accent right?

Aldrea Alien said...

Sounds interesting. Not sure how much I can participate, but I'm there!

Tracy MacDonald said...

What a great idea! I stopped over after I saw the button on David Powers King's site and I think I have to participate, being half Irish and all. So, I'm in and BTW, I love, love, love Key West.

Tracy, A2ZMommy and What’s In Between

Janice said...

*waves* I'm Irish with the accent to prove it. I'm from Derry, but lived in Dublin for thirteen years. We moved to Atlanta last year, and I'm still sooo homesick. I'll definitely take part in your Blog Hop.

Theresa said...

Love this idea! Can't wait. I just posted about it on my blog :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I'm still under 100, so I feel your excitement!

Darci Cole said...

Can I still sign up? I totally want to do this :-) I'm not Irish by descent, but I've always loved the history and want to go there someday! So fun! I'll be posting about this this week for sure!

Nissa Annakindt said...

OK, I'm game for it. I'm Irish sometimes, except when I'm German. Though right now I'm pretending to be Korean (it's novel-related, honest).

Nissa
from
The Lina Lamont Fan Club
(which has nothing to do with Lina Lamont...)

Huntress said...

*slides into line*
Just in time!!!
*whew*
visiting from David Powers King

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;